We already discussed how to fix a cheat on the hCG Diet, and why cheating on hCG is really not a good idea. We all know this. I know this. And I still cheated a few times on hCG. It doesn’t mean ultimate failure. It just means it may take a little longer to get to your ultimate goal.
And that’s okay. Because as Steve Chandler wrote in his book 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself – Change Your Life Forever, “progress toward goals is never in a straight line. It will always be a bumpy line. You’ll go up and then come down a little.”
There’s a few reasons you might find yourself in the throes of cheating:
1. The hCG protocol is a psychological bootcamp. You are in a bootcamp not simply for losing weight, but realizing that you ate for so many other reasons than hunger and learning how to change this- this doesn’t happen overnight or without small setbacks along the way, especially considering for many your current relationship with food has been going on for many years. Most people are VERY surprised at how challenging this protocol is mentally. Knowing this, what can you do if you just break down and can’t handle it all one day?
2. Sometimes you’ll find yourself in a situation where you just aren’t prepared one day through no fault of your own. Ie. you planned to come home and make your Phase 2 lunch, but you just found out you have to rush over to your grandmas to take her to her doctors’ appointment because the person who was supposed to take her got the flu and you won’t be able to get home for 3-4 more hours and you’re already getting pretty hungry. This happens ALL the time- it seems like stuff shouldn’t come up that often, but believe me, you watch enough hCG youtube vloggers and yes, life is just crazy and there’s only so much control we have over that. In fact, I really admire how resilient the women doing this protocol are- they keep making adjustments and plowing through despite the constant things that come up in life when you have family and friends to take care of in your life.
So whether we find ourselves in a place where we are temporarily imprisoned by our own weaknesses, or the crazy stuff that comes up in life, how can we make the BEST choices under these different circumstances? Well….let’s talk!
You can lessen the consequences by cheating smarter. Some might say that I’m encouraging cheating by showing you how- that is not my intention at all. I think you should do whatever you can to do this protocol right- this is the most healthy way to do it and will get you the best results. That’s why I wrote about why cheating is a bad idea.
It’s just that I’m very in tune with the process an overweight woman who has issues with food goes through on the hCG Diet journey because I’ve been through it- my mind was and is much like yours. So I already know there may be some unavoidable times where you are just going to screw up. Blame it on hormones, blame it on the wrong dose of hCG or that you’re still in the middle of fixing your relationship with food, whatever the case, you might as well be educated on your actual cheating choices.
Even to this day in regular life- I overeat sometimes. I get too full. But because I have learned to make the right choices as to what I’m eating when I do this, there is almost never any actual negative impact on my bodyfat. You can’t gain weight from a smoothie made mostly of ice. With hCG, anything over 800-1000 calories and you’re going to be causing some “damage” that you’ll have to undo.
If you HAVE to freak out and “cheat” these are the better ways to do it:
I realize perhaps in the end these may not cut it for you- but they’re worth trying first, before you fall all over that chocolate cake.
– Eat more of p2 foods- especially the P2 proteins and P2 veggies. The calorie count may end being too high for weight loss, but you are still avoiding fats on the diet, which is KEY, and you may not consume enough to cause actual fat gain (although you may see a small gain from having a fuller stomach).
– Try some miracle noodles aka shirataki noodles. They are filling, they give a different texture, and if you combine them with p2 veggies and protein you end up with a fairly substantial meal that might just fill whatever you feel inside you is missing. You can read why I feel miracle noodles are okay on the hCG Diet. Same thing for a “gain” applies here as well- gains from miracle noodles, from my experience anyway, are not fat- they are simply bulk and resulting liquids retained that will pass through your digestive tract in a short time! I liked to use mine in soups- to be honest I don’t really consider these noodles to be cheating as I ate them only daily during P2 on 3 of my rounds to provide a more satieted feeling. But if you haven’t been eating them you’ll feel like it’s a real luxury! You can buy miracle noodles online here or you can buy them as “shirataki noodles” in the refrigerated section of your local Asian market. Make sure you buy the ones that say 0 calories!
– I hate to say it but a diet soda can get you through a difficult time here and there. The problem with these is they can quickly become habit forming and I don’t think it’s a great idea to drink them daily on hCG, or even in regular life. However I can tell you there were a number of times during my different rounds that a can or two of diet soda got me through a gathering and prevented me from descending on the deviled eggs and applecrisp. I long ago removed diet coke and any diet sodas sweetened with aspartame. I switched to some of the stevia sodas out there like Zevia and Blue Sky Zero. But I understand now that some of you out there are actually allergic to stevia! Please let that never happen to me. All in all, any diet soda whether it’s aspartame sweetened or stevia and erythritol sweetened, is not exactly a health food right? But to me it’s all about balancing perfection, which is impossible, with being able to deal with life, and so I do have a few of these sodas now and then.
– Keep some P2 fruits in the car. This is a good thing to do when you find yourself in those situations where you’re entire just changed with one phone call and now you’re stuck either not eating at all or trying to scrap together a healthy p2 meal while out and about. P2 fruits usually keep for a bit so you can leave some in the car- apples, oranges, possibly grapefruit (although that can get kinda messy).
– Keep raw P2 veggies handy- always take with you when you leave even if you plan on coming home. Things like cherry tomatoes make a great simple snack to grab and have with you just in case. One of the things that can lead to cheating when you didn’t intend to is getting to the point of too much hunger- that ravenous feeling that leads you to scarf down anything in sight. Even if the cherry tomatoes or orange doesn’t fill you up, it might be just enough to help you stay sane until you DO get home later to finish making the rest of your hCG protocol meal.
Less stellar options but not horrible: – Eating more p2 fruits- this is of course, more sugar and carbs, so just not as good of a choice. But it’s still better than eating chocolate cake, so if you just have to have to something sweet, some strawberries with stevia sprinkled on them is pretty satisfying.
What would be considered true cheats ie. really going against what is best for your body on hCG: – Foods with fat in them – Large amounts of calories But of course, sometimes this does happen, in which case you’ll want to read my favorite way to fix a cheat to get back on track.
Want Support? Motivation?
29,000+ hCGers Join